Saturday 21 July 2012

Business Courier of Cincinnati: Tech & Innovation : Business Advice

bertayfybuqutyp.blogspot.com
Because that's what the idea was. I woulx replace my home officetelephone line, which I only use for outgoinyg calls, and instead start making all of my calld over the Internet. This way I coulsd pocket the $50 a month I've been giving to Verizom and use those savings to buy more important Like … food. Except it really didn't turn out that way. Why? Because the Internet phoner services I triedworked ... but just not all the Which is typical ofmost technology. For example, I playedc around with Skype (www.skype.com) for a few weeks. Not bad.
Signin up for the service was free and the headsert that I purchased from Staplesfor $20 only had to be replacec once (I do not advise lending one's headset to a 12 year old. Enouguh said). Astonishingly, installing the Skype application on mylaptopl didn't cause it to lock up or crash on me. So for that reaso alone I felt that thingswere successful. Once up and Skype did as promised … just about all of the I used the little computer generated keypad on my laptop to make If I called another Skypd user the callwas free. Unfortunately, I don'tf really have a lot of conversationsd with high school andcollegee kids, nor do I care to really speakm to anyone under 25.
So there's not a lot of phonwe numbers in mySkype directory. you can use Skype to call a regular land line and then get charge a few cents per So that's what I mostly did. The problem was the connection. It worked. Most of the But sometimes it just didn't. Sometimes I had to call back the personj two or three times to get a good Orspeak loudly. There were a few instances where I said naughty Then there was this one time where I tried to participatw in a conference call and had to make the threr other people wait whileI re-called the call-inm number a few times until there was no cracklinfg sound on the phone. That was fun too. So I stoppex using Skype.
Frustrated I turned to another Net calling service callexmagicJack (www.magicjack.com). No, this has nothint to do with changing the tires ofa car. And therre was no pleasure involved. For $40 magicJack ships me a littlde unit that I plug into the USB port of my I then hook my office phone intothe unit. After installin g the program I'm able to make phone calls from my regularphone (not the headsetr I bought from Staples bye-bye $20). Like Skype, magicJack places its calls over the along with the other 100 trilliomn bits of information crossing thesame pipelines. See where I'm going here??
Their deal is that you can make unlimited calls you want to anyone in the UnitedStateds (I'm told they're working on overseas for only $50 per year. I did the math and that'd $550 less a year than I'm spendinvg on my office line, so there you go ... magic! Unfortunatelyt ... not so magical. Why? Same thing with Skype. It Most of the time. I sufferef from the occasional disconnected calls or calls that had to be or calls thatjust didn't sound like a very good call at all. More naught y words. More blood thinner required. In the end I broker down and kept myoffice line. You win I just need things that work as they promiseed towork ... all the time. I have enough headachesx in my life.
I have kids and a mortgage and I can't sit around and worry that an importan conversation with a prospective customer is going to get cutofcf or sound horrible. Verizon's line in my office worksz allthe time. It's one less hassl e to deal with. I stilk keep the magicJack and Skype serviceszbecause I've had occasion to use them when Most likely I'll forget to cancel my subscriptioj so now I'll be payin an extra $50 a year for next to But I'm a penny pincher. Not a Sure, it's less expensiv e to use these Netcalling services. But I'm sacrificingt some quality. Some dependability. I'm givint myself more headaches. To me, it's not worth it. Thesed technologies are great for kidsor socializing.
But to rely on them for businessw purposes, at least so far, isn'gt a great idea for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment